Reports emerging from Phuket Newshawk state that 5 new cases of coronavirus (covid-19) have been confirmed on the island of Phuket, with the island of Koh Samui also announcing its first virus case.
Earlier today, the official number of new infections was announced as 111 cases, bringing the total number of covid-19 cases to 1,045. It is unclear whether these 5 cases are included in that number.
The new cases are as follows:
- A 64-year-old Swiss businessman
- A British man, aged 20, who is a caretaker of yachts
- A 43-year-old Thai woman, a masseuse in Patong
- A 41-year-old Thai man, concierge in a Patong hotel
- A Thai policeman 21 years old, came into contact with foreigners in Patong’s Soi Bangla
In addition to these cases, a 49-year-old French ex-pat who returned on March 17th from France was announced as the first case on Koh Samui. While he had self-isolated himself for a week after returning, he began feeling very ill and was admitted to Koh Samui Public Hospital.
The Health Ministry has warned the Thai public that there is likely to be a rise in the number of cases over the coming days as the country enters an emergency state.
Source: The Thaiger