A Thai national from Pathum Thani province has been arrested following accusations that she deliberately forced her toddler to swallow bleach so that he would appear sick for pictures aimed at selling products online.
The horrific accusations led to the revelation that the same woman, named as 29-year-old Nittha Wongwan, had also adopted a 3-year-old girl who died following symptoms that were described as a “strange illness.”
Doctors at Thammasat University Hospital said the young boy had vomited blood and there were injuries present in his gastrointestinal tract.
They also believed that the young girl who was adopted had been poisoned by the suspect as she was brought to the same hospital with similar conditions.
It was the medical staff who alerted the police. They have taken the young boy into care while the investigation is taking place.
However, Maj Gen Jirabhop Bhuridej, Chief of the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) said that the police do not currently have enough evidence to make a statement about the case at this time.
He went on to say that he believes that officials will be able to gather enough evidence to prosecute the suspect in time.
The woman had sold products online using images of the children looking ill with what she claimed were “severe allergic reactions.”
More than 3,000 people had made purchases worth more than 10 million baht from the woman with buyers conned into thinking the woman’s son had fallen ill due to a rare and strange disease.
The suspect has denied allegations of harming the children but has admitted to fraud for failing to deliver some products to customers.