A popular cafe located in Baan Tawai in the Hang Dong district of Chaing Mai burnt to the ground this morning just two days after reopening following coronavirus restrictions being lifted.
Jungle the Cafe, a jungle-themed coffee shop and resort spread over 10 rai of land, had been closed for two months due to restrictions implemented to stop the spread of covid-19.
However, at approximately 9 am this morning, local firefighters were called to the scene as thick plumes of smoke emerged from the thatched roofs of the cafe.
The fire rapidly spread throughout the premises due to the building being constructed with flammable materials and it took firefighter more than one hour to extinguish the flames.
Initially, the cause of the fire was thought to have been an electrical fault. However, the owner of the cafe informed rescue workers that some welders were working on the premises and she believed that a spark from the welding may have caused the fire.
The distraught owner, Aranya Tarin, said she couldn’t even begin to estimate the cost of the damages caused by the blaze.
Source: City Life
If you have any stories to share, a review or event you would like us to cover, or an issue to discuss, please contact Sawadee Siam News.