112 medical staff from Vachira Phuket Hospital have been suspended and placed in quarantine after a Hungarian tourist died of coronavirus on the premises.
The man was rushed to hospital after a road accident on March 25th, first being treated at Chalong Hospital before moving to Vachira Phuket Hospital soon after.
Although badly injured, the man could still talk, but when questioned by staff he did not mention activities later revealed that put him at risk of contracting covid-19.
Staff became suspicious when the man was visited in hospital by a friend from Soi Bangla, a popular entertainment district in Patong and a high-risk area with 19 recorded transmissions taking place there.
The staff questioned the patient and discovered he stayed in the area for two weeks, visiting many entertainment places during that time. He had also arrived in Thailand from Malaysia, another fact he previously didn’t mention.
Once aware of the risk, hospital staff conducted tests and discovered the patient was indeed infected with the virus.
Now, 112 medical staff who had treated or been in contact with the patient have been placed into immediate quarantine for 14 days.
Dr. Chalermpong Sukhonthapol, Director of Vachira Phuket Hospital, said:
“The death of the Hungarian tourist is a shock because he did not report the covid-19 infection risk in the first place. 112 medical personnel who had done their best to save were put at risk because of their contact with him.”
“I am asking people and tourists to be clear about their history. Please do not conceal anything, as in this case, which has taken out about 100 medical personnel.”
Another incident reported today involved a woman who had been tested for coronavirus in Bangkok before ignoring a quarantine request and driving back to Ubon Ratchathani.